There is vast scope in the field of microbiology due to the advancement in the field of science and technology. The scope in this field is immense due to the involvement of microbiology in many fields like
The study of microbiology contributes greatly to the understanding of life through enhancements and intervention of microorganisms. There is an increase in demand for microbiologists in India and globally.
A microbiologist can innovate
New diagnostic kits
Discover new drugs
Microbiologists can work in the area of
In the field of agriculture, microbiologists act as environmental and health specialists to study the role of microbes in plant disease, pest control, nutrition and soil fertility. In the field of medicine and health care, the work is usually associated with diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of illnesses associated with microbes. Universities and colleges employ microbiologists as researchers and teachers.
About the Course:
The course studies the diversity of microbial types, how microorganisms can be used and manipulated to aid mankind and the detrimental effects (for example on health) of microorganisms.
The industrial visits and internships are arranged to allow the students to gain insight into the application of the subject in the industry. The curriculum has been designed to train the students in good lab practices and encourage them to expand their knowledge base by applying for projects and publishing papers.
Intensive lab works and project works are carried out to equip the students in microbiological techniques.
- Affiliated to Bangalore University.
- Recognized by Government of Karnataka.
2 years (4 semesters)
- Microbiology has grown rapidly both with regard to fundamental knowledge and its application to medicine, agriculture, and industry. Dozens of biotechnology companies formed to exploit these advances provide employment for students with suitable training at master’s level.
- Postgraduate microbiologists are in high demand in quality control and assurance in a range of product based companies such as food processing, beverages, breweries, cosmetics, diagnostics and so on.
- At the same time, microbiologists are integral to R&D in most of the research organizations.
- B.Sc. with any Life Science subject securing 50% marks in all the three optional subjected in aggregate.
- B.Sc., Biotechnology/B.Sc., Biotechnology (integrated) with 50% marks in aggregate.
- B.Sc., (Honours) in Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology or Biology with 50% marks in aggregate.
- Bachelor in Agricultural Sciences, Dairy Sciences, Horticulture, Forestry, Fisheries, Pharmacy, BE (Biotechnology), Medicine, Dental, and Agriculture Engineering with minimum 50% marks in aggregate.
- Bacteriology and Virology
- Eukaryotic Microbiology
- Microbial Physiology and Biochemistry
- Microbial and Biochemical techniques
- Microbial Genetics
- Molecular Biology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Food Microbiology
- Medical Microbiology
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Open Elective: Applied Microbiology
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Project work