Biochemistry has emerged as a highly creative and successful discipline that has developed many new technologies and broadly applies the technological advances of other disciplines.
The Department of Biochemistry was established in a full-fledged manner with start of the post-graduate course in Biochemistry in the year 2003. In 2011, the post-graduation course in Chemistry was started and combined to have Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
The Post-graduate students from the department of Biochemistry are employed in many companies like
Dr. Reddy’s Labs,
Jubilant Life Sciences,
Radiant Research labs,
Triesta Life Sciences,
Reliance Life Sciences,
Abbott India Ltd.,
Strides Arcolab Ltd.,
Godrej Agrovet Ltd.,
Remedix Pharma Pvt. Ltd., etc.,
Opportunities for students of Biochemistry:
- In view of recent advances in biochemistry, many new professions have been created for biochemistry majors.
- Those who discontinue after the B.Sc degree often find themselves working as technicians in a variety of industries, but for those who go on for their M.Sc or Ph.D, many more opportunities become possible.
- Graduates at all levels find positions in a wide variety of career areas, including forensic sciences, industrial chemistry, molecular biology, pharmacology, technical sales, virology, horticulture, immunology, forestry, and so on.
- But there are more careers one might not normally associate with the field of biochemistry.
- A research assistant works in the area of biochemical research and development as part of a team.
- They may investigate new genetic tests, be involved in genetic engineering or cloning, or help with the development of new drugs or drug protocols.
- In addition to performing typical technical biochemical procedures, the research assistant analyzes data and prepares technical reports and summaries.
- Biochemical development engineers take the biochemical process developed in the laboratory and scale it up through the pilot plant stage to the full production plant.
- They help determine what instrumentation and equipment are needed and troubleshoot problems in the scale-up procedure.
- Further, there is a great demand for biotechnological experts in countless industries and sectors.
Prof. M. Anuradha
Qualification: M. Sc, MPhill, Ph.D
Experience: 21 years
Projects carried out by M.Sc (Biochemistry):
- Extraction of Withanolides from Ashwagandha
- Extraction of Ursolic acid from Ocimum sanctum
- Extraction of Glycerrhinic acid and Glabridin from Licorice roots
- Extraction of forskholin from Coleus forskholli
- Screening of Disulfuram from Herbal De-Addiction Product