The Department of Biotechnology and Microbiology was established in the year 2001 and has consistently ranked in All India Top 20 Private Biotechnology School by leading Biotechnology Magazine BioSpectrum. The department has been recognized as a Research Centre by the Bangalore University. Both undergraduate and post-graduate courses are offered by the department.
The graduate and post-graduate students of Biotechnology and post-graduate students of Microbiology are successfully employed in various companies which include
- Molecular Connections Pvt. Ltd.
- Himalaya Drug Company.
- Sami Labs Ltd.
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratory Ltd.
- Cipla Ltd.
- Connexious Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.
- Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd.
- Gangagen Inc.
- Abexome Biosciences Pvt. Ltd.
- Radiant Research and Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Microlabs Ltd.
- Sortorius India Pvt. Ltd.
- Triesta Sciences.
- Astra Zeneca Pharma India Ltd.
- Reliance Life Sciences.
- Novazymes South Asia Pvt. Ltd.
- Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd.
- Abbott India Ltd.
- Merck Ltd.
- Smithkline Beechem Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Biocon Ltd.
- Natural Remedies Pvt. Ltd.
- Monsanto Research Centre.
- Avesthagen Ltd.
Opportunities for students of Biotechnology:
- Career opportunities for students in biotechnology are abound.
- Those specializing in different sub-disciplines of this field can easily find jobs in both private and government sector undertakings.
- Major recruiters include industries engaged in processing and developing agricultural and biological products, bio-processing industries, pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
- There are ample opportunities in industries producing healthcare products, textile industry, cosmetics and organizations engaged in different types of industrial research and development.
- Biotechnology assimilates in itself a number of disciplines.
- Further, there is a great demand for biotechnological experts in countless industries and sectors.
Opportunities for students of Microbiology:
- The need for qualified microbiologists continues to grow, both for basic research and practical applications and for the discovery of novel microorganism.
- Microbiologists are still studying how the known microbes function.
- As a result, the field of microbiology has virtually unlimited potential.
- Microbiologists are needed across many industries, including in academic, technology, industrial and environmental organizations.
- Those considering a career in microbiology, or a related field, will benefit from investigating the options before committing to a specific degree program.
- In spite of the broad range of specialties available in microbiology, many positions have similar job activities.
- They may use other equipment, including gas chromatographs, electrophoresis gels, fluorescent cell sorters and various incubators.
- Microbiologists collect samples from the environment, including people, plants, animals and field locations.
- Microbiologists may also observe the effect of microbes on their environment or other organisms.
- This is especially true of medical microbiology, which examines the role of microbes in human health.
- Microbiologists are scientists who study microbes, organisms too small to be seen with the naked eye.
- They also study how microbes interact with their environment.
Dr. Sudipta Kumar Mohanty
Qualification: M. Sc, Ph.D
Experience: 9 years
Dr. S. Balasubramanya
Dr. Rashmi D
Dr. Nethra S
Mrs. Ashwini M
Mrs. Yamuna G
Mrs. Sahanashree K S
Mrs. Keerti Joshi